Donald LeBleau (President)
Stephan Dupre (Prime Minister)
The first state to split with the new Confederation of Dixie was Louisiana, which maintains cultural ties to France. Louisiana was the wettest of the Confederate states, with a large French-speaking population, Napoleonic law, and large Catholic population. The Louisiana-Confederacy match was doomed, and divorce quick (and the Confederacy could hardly complain: state independence is part of the Confederate creed).
Since then, French Louisiana has leaned heavily on the Mother Country and other Francophone nations, mainly Haiti and the République de Quebec, for support and trade. A poor nation surrounded by hostile — or at best, neutral — nations, dependent on trade, Louisiana floats its economy on legal and illegal alcohol trade.
Agriculture, salt exports, Gulf Fishing, and Mississippi River trade are the backbone of Louisiana's economy. The state is defended by wily "Swamp-Bat" militia pilots and a French Foreign Legion division (mainly against aggressive Texas Air Rangers), but also on guard against renewed Alabama agression.
- Swamp Bats- The de-facto air force of French Louisiana.
- French Foreign Air Legion- Not actually a part of French Louisiana's own military, the Legionnaires stationed in Louisiana are well-trained professionals and lend considerable strength to the small nation's military, and have been able to discourage any neighbors from trying to move in and annex Louisiana.
- France- The President of Louisiana is in the process of negotiating with France, hoping for a more formal relationship with the European power. Surrounded by enemies on all sides, crippled by a weak economy, and equipped with only a light military, the presence of French Foreign Legion troops is virtually all that prevents Louisiana from being swept off the map; currently, no North American nation is prepared for a conflict with a major European power.
- Republic of Texas- French Louisiana has tense relations with the Texans, with both sides watching the other closely along the border.
Behind the Scenes Edit
- French Louisiana is one of five nations to consist of a single former American state, the others being Columbia, Deseret, Free Colorado and the Nation of Hollywood.